Digital Marketing with Hashtags and Keywords for Stylists, Salons, Salon Suites and Booth Renters
If you have ever wondered why some websites – and even some social updates – show up in results when you are searching online, it is because they contain the “keywords” you used when searching. You do not have to be an SEO (search engine optimization) expert to infuse basic SEO tactics into your website and social media.
Two of the ways you can do this are with hashtags and keywords. When you include hashtags in your social media posts, they can be found any time someone searches for entries under that hashtag.
Digital Salon Marketing with Keywords – How does it work?
What are “keywords?” Simply put, anything that a real person searches for on a search engine, whether a single word or a phrase, is considered a keyword. For example, here are the search results when “MRK Beauty” is typed into a Google search:
Include keywords in your digital “real estate” such as your salon’s website and your social media profiles. Specifically, keywords like your name as a beauty professional, your salon’s name, your city’s name, the name of the business park where your salon is, and so on – any type of keyword a real person might type into Google when trying to find your business or a business like yours.
Adding these keywords to your web pages, blog content and social media posts makes it find-able when people search online using the same keywords. For instance, when you add the word salon (or salons in your city (inserting your city’s name) you now have keywords in your content that real people might search for online. Here’s how it works:
Someone just moved to town, they aren’t happy with their current stylist, or they are searching for a salon for some other reason. When they go to Google (or Bing or some other search engine) and type the words “salons in <your city>” or a similar variation, your social posts, web page and other online content becomes find-able because you included the same key phrase.
Digital Salon Marketing with Hashtags – How does it work?
Think of the way hashtags work as similar to a digital file cabinet filled with file folders. Each of these file folders is titled with a single, specific hashtag, and all the web and social media content that has that hashtag is the digital content you would find in that folder.
When you include hashtags in your social media posts (and even on your salon’s website), they become part of this find-able content. This can help introduce your salon services to new clients and help you grow your list of social followers or drive traffic to your salon’s web page.
Hashtags are your FRIENDS! They make it super-easy to come up with engaging social media content. Here are common salon hashtags you can use by day of the week to :
- #SelfieSunday – a selfie – perhaps showing how you prep for the coming week or a selfie from an education or industry event
- #SundayFunday – be human! Share an image of how you enjoy down time
- #SundaySale – specially priced services or products
- #MemeMonday – salon-related meme
- #MondayBlues – haircolor, nail color, etc.
- #MusicMonday – what tunes do you have on in the salon?
- #MondayMemories – client throwback!
- #MindfulMonday – how do you get your mind fully ready and present to serve clients?
- #MotivationMonday / #MondayMotivation – share an inspiring quote or idea
- #ManCrushMonday – share an image with a great men’s style
- #ManicureMonday – share an image with cool manicure
- #TipTuesday – share a product or service suggestion that addresses common client problems
- #TopicTuesday – pick a common to address, such as “why pro color over box?”
- #TransformationTuesday – share a before/after client look
- #TuesdayTrivia – share a fun tidbit about your professional or brand story
- #TuesdayTraining – something you learned in recent education or training going on in your salon!
- #TeachingTuesday – tips for at-home styling and care
- #WayBackWednesday – client or salon throwback
- #WellnessWednesday – share a beauty health tip
- #WisdomWednesday – share expert advice
- #WomanCrushWednesday – share an image with great women’s style
- #ThrowbackThursday / #TBT – post an image with vintage/retro style
- #ThankfulThursday – something you’re thankful for
- #ThursdayThoughts – what’s on your mind?
- #FearlessFriday – fearless hair color or style!
- #FeelGoodFriday – how are you helping clients get ready for the weekend?
- #FridayVibes – how is your team vibing together?
- #FridayFunny – humorous salon meme
- #FF aka #FollowFriday – shoutout to new social followers
- #FridayFunday – something fun about your salon
- #SaturdayShenanigans – experimenting with a new style
- #SelfieSaturday – by yourself or with a client
- #ShoutoutSaturday – shoutout to a favorite client, peer or *cough* professional salon distributor *cough*
What’s your hashtag?
Your name, your salon name, your city – all of these can – and should – be turned into hashtags that you use when you post images on social media. If you are posting an image of your work, a photo of your salon, a copy of your salon’s menu of services, etc., simply add #Salon (where “Salon” = the name of YOUR salon) and #CitySalons (such as #SpokaneSalons) to your posts.